Last updated: May 2022
Do you find yourself constantly coming up with ideas that you just want to explore and share? Do you love guiding others to develop their own ideas? Do you want the opportunity to grow and lead an existing team of passionate creatives? If this sounds like you, you could be what we’re looking for.
Hi! We’re Shape History, a social impact communications agency based in London and we’re looking for a passionate storyteller and a creative visionary to come and shake up our Creative team. You will have no problem with exuding creativity through the agency, both internally through culture and externally through projects. You will be a vital part in evolving a fast-growing young and thirsty agency. We’re looking for candidates who can bring a calm presence to our Creative team. You will work collaboratively across the agency and balance scrutinising creative outputs and working with team members in a supportive way to allow them to evolve naturally.
How you’ll be shaping history everyday:
- Mentoring: You will act as a mentor to a select few team members within the Creative team, nurturing them to become the best version of themselves by guiding them through their work and goal setting. You will act as a soundboard or a ‘creative buddy’ to enhance the quality of their work.
- Creative ideation & storytelling: Develop both autonomously and collaboratively creative narratives and initial mood boards for a variety of different partners. This involves being outcomes driven and empathetic with how to tell a story.
- Strategic mindset: You will understand the needs of our partners, what they’re trying to achieve and their audiences. You will be comfortable at pushing the boundaries of creativity and developing ideas that will resonate with a variety of audiences.
- Pitching creativity: You will feel comfortable pitching both your ideas and those of the team to new or existing partners (we call clients partners). You will react to feedback that might arise and be flexible in your response. This will also involve contributing to new business proposals, collaborating with other team members.
- Disrupting: Identifying where creative work (be it design or video) can evolve to the highest quality and sharing feedback in a respectful way to other team members. Through this, you will stretch the boundaries of creativity for the agency as a whole. You will be a constant well of inspiration and new ways of doing things to help disrupt the space and inspire creativity.
- Understanding capacity: Part of this role involves understanding your mentee’s capacity and what new work is coming through the door. You will work with our planners to negotiate and shift timelines around to accommodate our partners.
- Representing the brand: You will keep a keen eye on all internal and external marketing, finding new ways to live and breathe our creativity both within the physical office space and online.
You’re good at:
- Collaboration: Working collaboratively in a team, as well as independently, and willing to roll up your sleeves during short intensive sprints.
- Creative storyteller: Your 4+ years of experience in creating campaigns speak for themselves, from ideation through to launch, you understand what resonates with an audience.
- Open-minded: Willing to step outside your comfort zone, and work on a variety of new and different outputs to evolve your skill sets.
- Stress Management and Adaptability: You feel comfortable adapting your planned course of action when unexpected issues arise, and are able to effectively manage and surpass stressful situations. This involves managing a complex and reactive workload.
- Clarity and simplification: With your experience of leading meetings, you will feel comfortable presenting ideas to the internal team or our partners in an engaging way that resonates and creates clarity and alignment.
- Familiarity with creative software: You may not be an expert but you will be familiar with Adobe Suite.
- Proactivity: Taking ownership and autonomy over your work, solving problems that others may not have noticed, and going out of your way to continue learning and growing.
- Agency experience: Your agency experience will allow you to understand how the sector works and how to prioritise your different tasks.
Extra bit of awesome:
- Knowledge and background in the social impact/charity/political sector, whether that be volunteering or working with charities, campaigns, NGOs, funders, or institutions
Base salary between 35,000-45,000 plus discretionary personal & company bonus
Applications will open on Monday 16th May and close on Monday 6th June
A short task will be sent out to a select few candidates to be completed between Wednesday 8th-Sunday 12th June
We will interview no more than 5 candidates on Tuesday 14th and Wednesday 15th June
As part of our process, we use blind recruitment in our first round of applications. This is part of a wider race equity strategy at Shape History. When applying for this role, you will be taken to a Typeform link where you’ll be asked a series of questions. The next round of the process will include interviewing a select few candidates.
We are committed to having an inclusive culture in which everyone feels safe and supported to achieve their potential. There is a long way to go in implementing race equity in the sector and we have a robust strategy in place for delivering this at Shape History. We actively encourage applications from underrepresented and minority groups, including those with lived experience of social issues we are working to address.
- Competitive remuneration: Working in social impact shouldn’t mean sacrificing financial remuneration, so our combination of competitive industry salaries & end of year bonuses ensures you feel valued in every way.
- Culture: Our main priority is our team and the culture that runs throughout the agency. We put emphasis on working with team members to unfold their individual and unique potential.
- History Shaper Programme: We offer grants to team members to build passion projects with no restrictions. We also run our own internal campaigns with ideas coming from the team.
- Holiday and Enhanced Parental Leave: Each team member is entitled to 24 days of holiday plus a Christmas shutdown period and bank holidays. We also have an enhanced parental leave policy.
- Flexi-time working: We understand that people work best at different times in the day, and either at home or in the office so we’re super flexible! All we ask is that you’re in the office 2 times a week.
- Fruit and Prosecco : We think that the team has a vitamin C deficiency because the amount of fruit they devour during Monday huddles is ridiculous. Enjoy that, as well as prosecco (or beer!)Thursdays!
- Team days: 4x per year, the full team comes together to take part in workshops, activities and socials. Previous team days have included axe throwing (not at each other), graffiti spraying and laser tag.
- Cycle to Work: Because bikes are good for your body and for our planet!