Creative Social Media and Content Lead (Strategy Lead)
Last updated: November 2023
Shape History is searching for candidates with 4-5 years of experience in social media and creative content strategy, to fill the new position of Creative Social Media and Content Lead. Working with one of our biggest partners, a philanthropic foundation working to improve the wellbeing of youth in cities around the world, we are looking for someone with a knack for storytelling and creativity, a passion for social media, and a drive to make a difference.
If you’re ready for a new challenge in London, let’s talk.
Hello! We’re Shape History, the social impact communications agency. We work with our partners – charities, businesses, UN bodies, academic institutions, philanthropic organisations – on some of the biggest issues facing humanity today, from Climate Change to Gender Equality, Health and Wellbeing to Youth Empowerment. Our vision is a fairer world, and we use communications to get there faster.
We’re a full service agency, doing everything from strategically advising major institutions, to managing digital presences, to ideating and crafting beautiful content that resonates with audiences. The successful candidate will join our Strategy Team, reporting to an Associate Strategy Director. They will work to shape and activate content strategies across a variety of social media platforms for Shape History and our partners.
How you’ll be shaping history everyday:
- Running social media accounts: Working across numerous channels, you will develop and administer social media content (text, video, graphics, surveys) that is designed to engage audiences. This involves crafting punchy post copy, ideating content suggestions, drafting content calendars, scheduling content, analysing results and collaborating with the team to make recommendations based on these are implemented. A large proportion of your time will also be to lead on responsive content such as promoting new stories and announcements and administering community engagement.
- Community Management: Build communities through fostering and engaging with relevant audiences, from young people, to senior leaders in the UN, to NGOs to build, maintain, and enhance our partners’ online presence and relationships.
- Creative and strategic brilliance: Stay focused on the big picture every day when delivering work, prioritising outcomes over outputs. You will ideate innovative social media and content strategies that push boundaries, infuse creativity into every aspect of planning and execution, and continuously seek fresh ideas and innovative approaches.
- Active Reading and Horizon Scanning: Upskilling and improving knowledge on key issues related to the projects and partnerships you lead on. For example, keeping up to date with the developments of key issues within the sectors you work in, including key industry events such as COP, UNGA, or the World Urban Forum.
- Storytelling and Copywriting: Day-to-day, you’ll write clear and concise copy for a range of different channels. You will be an expert at adapting tone of voice and ensuring posts and content inform and engage.
- Design skills: You’ll be using tools such as Canva to design quick turnaround creative assets for social platforms. You’ll also have our in house creative team to support you.
- Consulting & facilitating workshops: Joining and facilitating workshops to uncover insights and co-create strategy and activations- both virtually and in person. You will also provide training to our partners across social media and content strategy.
- Collaboration: Working extremely closely with the entire Shape History team (especially Strategy & Creative Leads and our Digital Marketing team) and our partners to support idea generation and implementation – ensuring all your activities are contributing to agreed outcomes and strategies. You will also be willing to roll up your sleeves during intensive sprints to support the team with tight deadlines and delivery.
You’re good at… (role requirements)
- Social Media Management Experience: You are proficient in developing paid and organic creative content strategies across a variety of platforms, primarily LinkedIn, Facebook, TikTok and Instagram.
- Data-informed storytelling: You know what makes a good, engaging piece of content across different platforms. You can turn data and audience analytics into content that are understandable, engaging, and relevant to audiences. Sometimes in less than 240 characters! Linked to this, you have a strong understanding of social media KPIs, website traffic metrics and SEO and can use these insights to inform future content strategies.
- Creativity: Creativity runs through your veins, and you recognise how essential it is for crafting compelling copy and attention-grabbing content.
- Strategic mindset: You constantly think about the strategy behind your content and how everything is working to meet it. If content is proposed that doesn’t meet strategic objectives, you will be comfortable advising against it.
- Communication: You possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. You are a strong presenter, are adept at speaking to different audiences, with the confidence to convince them to take action.
- Design skills: Confidence in using online tools such as Canva to create content is a must. Full design experience using software such as Adobe Creative Cloud or InDesign would be a nice to have!
- Agency experience: You will have a couple of years’ of experience working in an agency or creative studio across a number of different social media accounts.
- Project and time management: You are responsive and comprehensive in your project management, are comfortable speaking with relevant stakeholders, and ensuring deadlines are met.
- Stress Management and Adaptability: Adapting when unexpected issues arise, being able to manage and surpass stressful situations. This involves managing a complex and reactive workload.
- Clarity and simplification: You can comfortably present ideas to the internal team or our partners in an engaging way that resonates and creates clarity and alignment.
- Proactivity: You are autonomous in your approach to work, solving problems that others may not have noticed, and going out of your way to continue learning and growing.
- Eye for detail: You are able to give clear, constructive feedback that helps improve the overall quality of work. You are confident in signing off on pieces of work before they go live, ensuring they are of the highest standard.
As part of this role, you will be leading on creative social media strategies, content and activations for a variety of our partners. Over the next 12 months, up to 50% of your time will be solely focussed supporting one our most exciting partners: Fondation Botnar.
Fondation Botnar is a Swiss philanthropic foundation working to improve the health and wellbeing of young people living in cities around the world. Advocating for the inclusion of youth voices and the equitable use of AI and digital technology, the foundation invests in and supports innovative programs and research, and brings together actors from across sectors to create dialogue and partnerships. The successful candidate will be leading on all aspects of the foundation’s social media presence and will need to show demonstrated interest and enthusiasm in their work to champion and support the wellbeing of young people globally. Please note, a representative from the foundation will also sit on the recruitment panel.
We are committed to having an inclusive culture in which everyone feels safe and supported to achieve their potential. We recognise that there is a long way to go in implementing race equity in the sector and we have a robust strategy in place for delivering this at Shape History. We actively encourage applications from underrepresented and minority groups, including those with lived experience of social issues we are working to address. As part of this strategy, we use blind recruitment in our first round of applications. When applying for this role, you will be taken to a Typeform link where you’ll be asked a series of questions.
Base salary of £38,000 – £43,000 plus company and personal bonus (between 3-5% base salary)
We may review applications on a rolling basis but to give you a general sense of timings:
- The deadline for applying for this role is Monday 4th December
- Longlisted candidates will have their CV requested on Wednesday 6th November.
- Shortlisted candidates will be given a short exercise to complete by Wednesday 13th December.
- Interviews will be held on Wednesday 18th and Thursday 19th November.