Social Media Lead
Last updated: June 2022
Are you curious, creative, and passionate about all things social media? Are you committed to making the world fairer and more sustainable? Do you enjoy rising above challenges and have ambition to evolve in your career, fast? If so, then you could be just who we’re looking for.
We’re Shape History, the social impact communications agency. We work with our partners – charities, businesses, UN bodies, academic institutions, philanthropic organisations – on some of the biggest issues facing humanity today, from Climate Change to Gender Equality, Digital Health, to Human Rights. We harness the power of communication to inspire inventive thinking and propel social impact leaders and change makers to create a fairer world faster.
We’re looking for someone who truly loves collaboration and well… being… SOCIAL. We don’t expect you to be glued to your phone endlessly scrolling through your feeds all day (that’s not good for anyone’s mental health!), but you should be someone who keeps up to date with new features and social trends. You should also be a self starter and entrepreneurial. We have a lot of ambition, and if all goes to plan (being a strategic agency we’re confident it will…), we want to build a team of social media gurus around you.
How you’ll be shaping history everyday:
Working with our team and partners, you will work to launch campaigns, build awareness and engagement, and foster and grow social communities through a wide variety of platforms – from LinkedIn, to Instagram, to Twitter, to TikTok.
50% of this role will be devoted to one of our largest partnerships, focussed on brand awareness and thought leadership, with the rest of your time spent working across other projects and supporting with marketing to support agency growth.
Below we’ve provided an outline of what this role looks like day-to-day.
- Running social media accounts: Working across corporate, senior leadership, and campaign profiles, you will develop and administer social media content that is designed to engage audiences. This involves drafting post copy, ideating content suggestions, creating content calendars, scheduling content, posting to platforms, and analysing results at the end of specific time periods. You will also be required to post reactive content such as recent news articles or supporting live tweeting panels at events.
- Strategic thinking: You will always keep your eye on the big picture when delivering work for our partners. This means putting effective outcomes before outputs, always thinking about the road to getting there within both available means and changing environment, and recognising that the tools and tactics you will use are adaptable and evolving.
- Keeping up to date: You will also keep on top of the conversations related to your partner accounts, ensuring you can identify hooks and opportunities for partners accounts to engage in conversations.
- Copywriting: Lead on writing clear and concise copy for a range of different mediums – ads, organic copy, graphics, videos – that inform, engage, and resonate with target audiences.
- Leading and supporting social strategy: You will either lead on, or work in collaboration with Strategy Leads to support developing and evolving the social media strategy for our partners.
- Consulting: Across the specific areas that you are responsible for, you will feel comfortable presenting and proposing ideas, and if needed, pushing back to partners to convince them of the best course of action.
- Reporting and Refining: You’ll be accountable for the results on channels, which means you’ll need to be constantly reporting, evaluating and refining your approach to reach desired outcomes.
- Training: You’ll run training workshops, talking about the top do’s and don’ts when it comes to social media.
- Collaboration: Working closely with the entire Shape History team (such as creatives and planners) and our partners to support idea generation, implementation, coordinating graphics and feedback. You will also be willing to roll up your sleeves during intensive sprints to support the team with tight deadlines and delivery.
- Upskilling: Social media evolves on a daily basis. To ensure you’re set up for success, you’ll have the time to be able to keep up to date with all the latest trends, features, and platforms, putting this new knowledge into practice in your day to day work.
- Shape History Marketing: As an agency we have ambition plans for growth. To enable that, you’ll support the growth of the agency by supporting our marketing efforts.
- Paid marketing: You’ll develop strategies for paid marketing, implementing them across channels such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
You’re good at:
- Strategic mindset: Being able to see the end outcome and impact is a must. You won’t get lost in tactical or reactive work and will have a good understanding of how to segment target audiences and create tailored content.
- Responsive-working: You excel in fast-paced environments, going from ideation to implementation, at the click of a finger, and are great at using your strategic and creative skills to grow reach, engagement, and followers.
- Written skills: Whether it is more strategic or if you need to inject some creativity and LIFE into the copy, you’ll be confident and efficient at writing for different audiences and platforms.
- Open-minded: Willing to step outside your comfort zone, and work on a variety of new and different outputs to evolve your skill sets. Thinking outside of the box is one of our values and pushing internal team members and our partners beyond their comfort zones, in a respectful way, is important.
- Stress Management and Adaptability: You feel comfortable adapting your planned course of action when unexpected issues arise, and are able to effectively manage and surpass stressful situations. This involves managing a complex and reactive workload.
- Clarity and simplification: From presenting ideas to the internal team or our partners, to delivering strategy documents, you present and organise information in a clear, engaging way that resonates and creates clarity and alignment.
- Proactivity: Taking ownership and autonomy over your work, solving problems that others may not have noticed, and going out of your way to continue learning and growing.
- Time management: Effectively planning and organising how to divide your time between specific projects and activities, balancing the art of flexibility with realism.
- Platform experience: You’ll be confident at using social media management tools and platforms such as SproutSocial, HeyOrca, (TalkWalker would be a bonus) and at analysing data from the channels you are working on.
Extra bit of awesome:
- Knowledge and background in the social impact/charity/political sector, whether that be volunteering or working with charities, campaigns, NGOs, funders, or institutions.
- Light design and editing skills, with the ability to use tools such as Canva and Adobe Creative Cloud.
Base salary of £29,000 -£35,000 per annum + discretionary personal and company bonus.
Applications will close on Thursday 14 July 2022 at 12pm. Following this the recruitment panel will create a long list of candidates, providing them with a short task to complete by Monday 18th July end of play. Candidates will then be shortlisted for an interview which will be held on Thursday 21st and Friday 22nd July.
As part of our process, we use blind recruitment in our first round of applications. This is part of a wider race equity strategy at Shape History. When applying for this role, you will be taken to a Typeform link where you’ll be asked a series of questions. The next round of the process will include interviewing a select few candidates.
We are committed to having an inclusive culture in which everyone feels safe and supported to achieve their potential. There is a long way to go in implementing race equity in the sector and we have a robust strategy in place for delivering this at Shape History. We actively encourage applications from underrepresented and minority groups, including those with lived experience of social issues we are working to address.
Why work at Shape History
- Culture: Our main priority is our team and the culture that runs throughout the agency. We put emphasis on working with team members to unfold their individual and unique potential – we even have a Culture Team to help us deliver on this commitment!
- History Shaper Programme: We offer grants to team members to build passion projects with no restrictions. We also run our own internal campaigns with ideas coming from the team.
- Department L&D budgets: every year, each department is given a budget allocation to spend on their team members’ individual or collectives learning and development. This could be anything from skill-specific external accreditation through to inviting inspiring speakers you’ve always wanted to hear from.
- Holiday and Enhanced Parental Leave: Each team member is entitled to 24 days of holiday plus a Christmas shutdown period and bank holidays. We also have an enhanced parental leave policy.
- Flexi-time working: We understand that people work best at different times in the day, and either at home or in the office so we’re super flexible! All we ask is that you’re in the office 2 times a week.
- Fruit and Prosecco : We think that the team has a vitamin C deficiency because the amount of fruit they devour during Monday huddles is ridiculous. Enjoy that, as well as prosecco (or beer!)Thursdays!
- Team days: 4x per year, the full team comes together to take part in workshops, activities and socials. Previous team days have included axe throwing (not at each other), graffiti spraying and laser tag.