Shape History is thrilled to announce the second round of the History Shaper Fund open to 18-25 year olds in the UK open from 18 September 2023 to 1 October 2023. The Fund offers transformative opportunities for young creatives and changemakers, with specific focus on stimulating the next generation of purpose-driven creative industry leaders.
Please note – the fund is now closed and no longer accepting applications.
Earlier this year, we announced the launch of a new £10,000 creative fund – the History Shaper Fund. The fund was created to support and empower young people to tackle social impact issues in the UK and/or around the world with their own creative ingenuity, powered by Shape History.
We are now inviting applications for the second iteration this year! We want to hear from any young person in the UK aged 18 to 25 who has a new and innovative concept to address anything from human rights to climate justice, health equity or social mobility. One winner, judged to be the most creative, effective and inclusive will be chosen to receive the full £10,000 plus mentoring from Shape History team members and full time use of our office in London.
CATCH THE Q&A WEBINAR WITH THE SHAPE HISTORY TEAM RECORDING HERE.
We encourage our networks, partners and youth-focused organisations to tap in and amplify this opportunity amongst their audiences.
“Within the creative industries, we’re acutely aware of the inequalities that hinder young talents from reaching their full potential. That’s why we launched the History Shaper Fund which goes beyond just grants to empower diverse youth-led projects and creative talent.
The incredible response to our launch in February showcased the boundless creativity and unwavering passion of young talents across the UK. As we enter our second phase, the History Shaper Fund remains a beacon of opportunity for young people to advance their careers while addressing critical social issues close to their heart.”Ed Fletcher & Lauren Kay Lambert, Co-MDs of Shape History
WHO CAN APPLY?
Applications are open to any young person in the UK aged 18 to 25 who has a creative concept to address anything from human rights to climate justice, health equity or social mobility. The winner will be the idea that is judged to be the most creative, effective and inclusive.
To be eligible, applicants must fall within the age bracket at the time of application, live in the UK, and have a UK bank account.
what will the winning application recEIve?
The winners of the History Shaper Fund will receive:
- Financial support: A single commission of £10,000 will be awarded to either an individual or collective (not an established organisation)
- Mentoring support: Regular mentoring sessions from Shape History team members to help with the planning and delivery of the project. The winner can use this support in whatever capacity they would like, whether that be brainstorming out the strategy and creative concept, how to get started or how to build out a budget. At a minimum it will be 1 hour per month for up to 6 months.
- Workspace: Our London office space in Kentish Town and our Scotland office space in Edinburgh will be made available to the winner(s) to use as much as wanted for up to 6 months.
HOW WILL THE FUND WINNER BE DECIDED?
Your application will be considered by the History Shapers panel based on the following criteria (each is accompanied by sample questions – these should be treated as guides – you do not have to answer all of them in your application):
- Think Differently (30%):
- How does your concept creatively address the social impact issue you are looking to tackle?
- Is it original in the use of different creative mediums and forms?
- Will you use a new narrative that’s not been heard before?
- How will you use creativity to inspire interest, engagement and/or action?
- Driven By Impact (30%):
- How much impact on the social issue do you believe your concept can have?
- How much attention will it draw from existing and new audiences?
- How do you plan to measure the impact of your concept?
- Is there a specific end goal or action you hope audiences will take?
- Collaborations through Partnerships (20%):
- Will there be opportunities for others to engage with the concept?
- Have you considered how you bring equity into the concept, or do you intend to highlight inequity within the social issue you’re looking to tackle?
- Compassion for Humanity (20%):
- How does your concept consider the experiences of different groups?
- How does your concept speak to the people or places that you are focusing on?
SOUNDS GREAT! HOW CAN I APPLY?
Interested in putting forward a History Shaper Fund application? Follow the simple steps below…
- Download the key information and FAQs document to understand the application process and judging criteria. You can also view the full list of application questions here ahead of applying for ease.
- Watch our recorded Q&A webinar here to see the team behind the History Shaper Fund answer key questions on the process, criteria and next steps.
- Please note – Applications are now closed. Do not apply past 12AM on Sunday 1 October 2023 as your submission will not be counted.
- Await response. We aim to have made a final decision by mid-October. We will reach out to those who have been unsuccessful and will provide feedback if requested.
APPLICATIONS are now closeD.
meet lamesha, the first winner of the history shaper fund 👇🏼
In February, Shape History launched our inaugural History Shaper Fund. 11 weeks later, we announced our winner, Lamesha Ruddock for her expansive history research and theatre-making project, I’NA SUIT YOU.
Exploring the cultural impact and significance of Patois, this project was a landmark in celebrating the deep cultural roots of the language and it’s reach across the diaspora. Want to learn more? Click here.